Friday 9 March 2012

The dream

I always dreamt of building my own bike, never had the time, 100's of other projects throughout my life!
After quiting being part of national and international racingteams I decided to make a start with the bike but first I'd like to do a learning project based on a Yamaha XS 500.
However I am in the professional motorcyclebusiness for more than 2 decades, the project will be partially new to me.
Metalwork needs to be done changing the frame to the specific look I have in mind, shaping and moulding needs to be done to get the fueltank and seat that I want.
What I have in mind are the looks of early 70's Italian bikes, in this case based on the looks of a moped, the Testi, here below.
I fell in love with the model and the shapes when my brother had one, years ago...


From a friend of mine, who was going to move from the Netherlands to Spain I bought this old Yamaha XS 500.... I could allready see the Testi in it!
The picture here below shows the XS with all unnecesary parts removed, a new low handlebar mounted and the headlight from an XS 750 Special because I love the round, vintage shape of it....
Nothing is cut off yet but I made the background white and I erased some frametubes so I can start making a design.


After making the background white, I started drawing.... looking sideways to the Testi.
My future bike, for wich I want to build a whole new frame will also look similar.
Here below the drawing I made.... let's see if the final result comes anywhere near it!





No comments:

Post a Comment