Sunday 11 March 2012

The fueltank

While especially the fueltank has to be modified to the specific look, I decided to create a complete new tank.
It will be fabricated from glass fibre with a coating in it to make it fuel-resistant.
In order to make a new tank I have to shape a model from wich I can make a negative mould in probably 3 parts.
I am going to use the original bottom from the tank to start the shape and today cut of the top part destroying the vintage 70's paintwork ( sorry Appie ).


The fueltank wasn't usefull anyway as you can see on the picture below, it was very dirty and a lot of rust...


After cutting it open I kind cleaned the edges while the future shape is more narrow.
Now I can put it down on the bike, drawing some cut-lines on it.


The new frame-tubes will follow the shape of the tank and the tank has to be made about 10CM longer.. some kind of "sharky-torpedo-shape"
Instead of the two fuelcocks the XS 500 has standard, I am going to install 1 centre fuelcock, borrowed from a 1993 CBR 600 F2.




No comments:

Post a Comment