Thursday 15 March 2012

I bought a 400 ML can of 2 component PU foam, that wasn't nearly enough..
So I went back to the shop and bought a can of 750 ML wich would be extra foamy..
The 2 component blue stuff is great... next time I'll just buy a couple of those.
The normal green PU doesn't work well.... the inside of the foam doesn't dry so that was a mess...
I decided to cut the shape a little and let it dry again..
Today I started with shaping the tank... and shaping... and shaping.
I used a bread-knife for that... worked really well.... ( srry baby, I'll buy you a new one LOL )


And see the result so far ( right hand side only )... compare with the Testi tank... not bad!
The top-part where the fuel goes in I will make later and glue it on.


Meanwhile I thought about mounting the taillight... so I started looking on the internet for a taillightbracket from an XS 750 or something... then I remembered I have a '74 Kawasaki Z 400 Twin in parts and guess what I found!... a beautifull taillightbracket!!
The paint looks shitty but it will be chromed anyway.
I cut off the mountingplate for the Z 400 taillight and the shape of the Yamaha FS-1 taillight followed the exact shape of the bracket... beautifull!!
I messured the rear mudguard with the taillight and the licenceplate, so that afterwords it will look "factory"..
and cut the fender another 7 CM at the front side and nicely finished the cut edges.
Then I measured and drilled the holes for the taillightbracket and mounted it... the light itself is now just taped on it.


Look how nicely the backplate of the taillight fits the Kawasaki Bracket !


Next:  an overview from todays work.


Still keeping an eye on the original design.... so far so good I would say!


Next work:
- Creating a lower mounting bracket for the rear fender.
- Cutting of the rear frame.
- Creating a new fork-stabiliser / mounting bracket front fender.
- Creating a support bracket for the rear end of the front mudguard.
- Lowering the headlight about 2CM
- Creating a mountingbracket for the speedometer and thinking about the placement of the warning lights.
- Tomorrow I will be receiving black fork gaitors and 4 turnsignal stems; the front ones need to be fixed on the chrome things on the fork and the rear ones can be mounted when the new frame tubes are installed.
And maybe I will receive the rear end of the seat... I am not sure however if I am going to use it, or create my own design... we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment